Black Beans Curry is a simple South Indian curry that is wholesome and easy to make. Great when you’re looking to rustle up something tasty quickly, with little effort.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can of boiled black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 green chillies, cut fine
- 1 red chilli, broken into 2-3 pieces
- Asafoetida powder (hing) optional
- 1 1/2 tsp urad dal ( split, peeled black gram)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the asafoetida powder and urad dal and fry for a minute. As they start to brown, add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to pop, add the ginger, green chillis, red chilli and curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the onions and some salt, and saute until soft.
- Add the black beans and a little salt. Cover and cook for 4-3 minutes.
- Remove the lid and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the black beans curry with hot jasmine or (any other) rice and a spoonful of ghee (clarified butter).