Bottlegourd Dal (Lauki Dal) is a simple yet delicious side for rice or any Indian bread. Lightly spiced, this North Indian dish is packed with protein.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup chana dal
- 1 cup bottlegourd, peeled and cut into small cubes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- bay leaf, a small piece
- 4 cloves
- 3 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, boil the bottlegourd pieces in a little water with some salt and a little turmeric powder .
- Cook the chana dal (split bengal gram) in a pressure cooker for 4-5 whistles, or boil separately.
- When the bottlegourd pieces are cooked, add the boiled chana dal.
- Heat oil in a small pan for the seasoning (tempering). Add the asafoetida, cumin and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the bay leaf and cloves and the red chilli. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Cover and let the bottlegourd dal boil for 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander/cilantro leaves.
- Remove the bay leaf and cloves.
- Serve hot with plain white rice and pappadums or Indian chapati or phulka.