Bottlegourd Raita is a quick and easy accompaniment for any Indian flatbread. It’s also great as a dip for chips or as a sandwich spread. Combined with plain yogurt, this raita is a healthy side, and a great addition to any weight-loss diet.
Bottlegourd is a natural remedy for indigestion.
Cooking Time : 5-7 minutes
- 1 cup bottlegourd (sorakaya/lauki), grated
- 1 cup plain yogurt (regular or low-fat)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (jeera)
- 1/2-1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Place the grated bottlegourd in a microwave-safe bowl. Add some salt and and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes or until almost tender. Or boil separately on the stove in a little water. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix in the bottlegourd, yogurt, a little water, salt, red chilli powder, and cumin powder.
- Garnish the bottlegourd raita with cilantro and serve with plain roti, stuffed paratha, bajra or jowar roti.