Cabbage-Potato Dal is a vegetarian cabbage soup recipe that’s full of nutrition. Cabbage and potatoes are a wonderful source of potassium and are foods that lower blood pressure naturally. Cabbage is also rich in calcium.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup toor dal (split red gram)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup potato, cut into small cubes (with or without peel)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 1/2 tsp toor dal (split red gram)
- 4-5 red chillies
- Asafoetida powder, a pinch
- 2 tbsp coconut, dry and grated
- 3-4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Cook the toor dal in the pressure cooker with 1 1/4 cups water and a little turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles.
- In a deep saucepan, boil cabbage and potato with 1/4 cup water, salt, and a little turmeric powder.
- While the cabbage and potatoes are cooking, grind the masala for the cabbage-potato dal with a little water into a coarse paste.
- When the cabbage and potatoes are semi-cooked, add the ground masala and boil for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables and masala are fully cooked.
- Add the cooked dal along with salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add hing and mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Pour over the dal and stir.
- Let the dal come to a boil.
- Serve the cabbage-potato dal hot with hot rice and ghee or with roti.