Cabbage-Potato Dal is a vegetarian cabbage soup recipe that’s full of nutrition. Cabbage and potatoes are a wonderful source of potassium and are foods that lower blood pressure naturally. Cabbage is also rich in calcium.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup toor dal (split red gram)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup potato, cut into small cubes (with or without peel)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 1/2 tsp toor dal (split red gram)
- 4-5 red chillies
- Asafoetida powder, a pinch
- 2 tbsp coconut, dry and grated
- 3-4 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Cook the toor dal in the pressure cooker with 1 1/4 cups water and a little turmeric powder for 4-5 whistles.
- In a deep saucepan, boil cabbage and potato with 1/4 cup water, salt, and a little turmeric powder.
- While the cabbage and potatoes are cooking, grind the masala for the cabbage-potato dal with a little water into a coarse paste.
- When the cabbage and potatoes are semi-cooked, add the ground masala and boil for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables and masala are fully cooked.
- Add the cooked dal along with salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add hing and mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the curry leaves and fry for a few seconds. Pour over the dal and stir.
- Let the dal come to a boil.
- Serve the cabbage-potato dal hot with hot rice and ghee or with roti.
Cabbage Kootu is a simple vegetarian lentil dish from South India that you can enjoy with rice or roti.
If you're into vegan cooking, you'll like this dal as it provides ...
Ash Gourd-Cabbage Dal is a delicious lentil soup with yellow lentils. This dal is full of protein, fiber, and other nutrients that makes this a healthy accompaniment for rice or ...
Cabbage-Potato curry is a simple South Indian vegetarian curry that's easy to make and tastes delicious with rice and roti (Indian bread). Cabbage is not only inexpensive but also very nutritious.
Bottlegourd-Spinach Dal is a South Indian lentil soup that's full of flavor and nutrition. Bottlegourd is great for many digestive ailments, while spinach is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, ...
Black-Eyed-Peas-Eggplant Dal is a delicious and tangy lentil soup that goes well with rice. The black-eyed peas and toor dal add a lot of protein and fiber, while the vegetables ...
This cabbage curry is the easiest side you can make for your meal. Cabbage and onions along with a touch of tamarind make this a mouth-watering dish. This vegetarian curry ...
Bottlegourd Dal (Lauki Dal) is a simple yet delicious side for rice or any Indian bread. Lightly spiced, this North Indian dish is packed with protein.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ash-Gourd Sambar is a tangy South Indian vegetarian lentil soup with winter melon (white pumpkin) that's usually served with rice. You can make this without the lentils, too, as a ...
Ash-Gourd Kootu is a South Indian lentil soup with winter melon and pinto beans. If you're in the mood for a warm vegetable soup, you'll like this easy vegetarian and vegan ...
Cabbage masala is easy to prepare and goes very well with rice and roti or any Indian bread. This is also a great curry for wraps. Cabbage masala is a ...
Amaranth Dal is an easy pressure cooker recipe with amaranth leaves, known in Indian languages as thotakoora, lal sag, mulai keerai, and dhantina soppu. Similar to spinach in taste, these ...
A simple curry, Cabbage-Beans Curry is a healthy and nutritious vegetable side for plain rice. This South Indian vegetarian recipe is easy.
Cabbage is high in potassium which helps control high ...
Ash-Gourd Kootu (Winter Melon)
Category: Dals and Soups, Dals and Soups - No-Onion No-Garlic, Vegan Dals and Soups