Carrot-Moong Salad is an almost no-cook recipe. This tangy salad is healthful and nutritious and can be put together quickly if you have the moong dal soaked and ready. The carotene in carrots helps prevent heart disease and some types of cancer. Moong lentil provides protein and fiber.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes + time for soaking
- 5 cups carrots, grated
- 3 tbsp moong dal (split mung beans), soaked for 2-3 hours
- 2 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coconut, freshly grated or dried
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram/lentil)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine the carrot, moong dal, salt, lime juice, coconut, and red chilli powder.
- Heat the oil in a small pan. Add the asafoetida powder, urad dal, cumin, and mustard seeds and fry until the urad is golden and mustard starts popping. Add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Pour the seasoning over the carrot-moong salad.
- Stir well and serve with plain rice or roti as a side.