Carrot Pulao is wholesome amd nutritious and can be served as a one-dish meal. Make it even more nutritious by using brown basmati rice instead of white.
Carrots are an excellent source of vitamin A and potassium and are great for heart, skin, and eye health.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes (+ 10 minutes for soaking)
- 1 cup basmati rice (or brown basmati rice)
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf, small
- 1/2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Rinse the basmati rice a couple of times and soak in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Drain and cook the rice with 1 3/4 cups water in the pressure cooker for 7-8 minutes or 2-3 whistles or cook in the rice cooker.
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, and cardamom and fry until golden.
- Add the onions and saute on medium heat until cooked and lightly browned.
- Add the garam masala, amchur, and red chilli powders and saute for a minute.
- Add the carrots and sprinkle some salt and water. Cover and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add the cooked rice, adjust the salt and stir well.
- Cover and cook the carrot pulao for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat.
- Serve the carrot pulao with pappadums and raita.