Simple and easy, Carrot-Tindora Curry is a great way to combine the two vegetables and get the benefits of both in one meal. Serve this vegetarian/vegan curry with plain rice. Add a dash of lime juice to add a nice tang to the curry.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups carrot, peeled lightly and grated
- 2 cups tindora (ivy gourd/tondli/dondakaya)
- Turmeric powder (haldi), a pinch
- 2 tbsp coconut, freshly grated or dried
- 2 tsp lime/lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chana dal (yellow lentils/split bengal gram)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 red chillies, broken into a few pieces
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Wash the tindora and remove as many seeds as you can. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, add salt and turmeric powder, stir, and sprinkle some water. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the chana dal and fry until almost golden. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and fry until golden. Add the red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the carrot along with salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked tindora. Adjust salt as needed and saute the carrot-tindora curry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and saute for a few seconds and remove from heat.
- Add a dash of lime juice and serve the carrot-tindora curry with plain rice.