This eggplant-drumstick curry (vangi, kathrikai, vankaya) is a mouth-watering South Indian curry that’s easy to make and tastes great with rice. Here’s how my mom makes this dish.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups eggplant, cut into medium-sized cubes
- 6-7 drumsticks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 6-7 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 7-8 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a wide, nonstick skillet or pan. Add the fenugreek seeds and fry until the seeds are almost black. Add the curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder, eggplant, drumstick, turmeric, and salt to taste. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover and cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes, until the eggplant and drumstick pieces are soft.
- Remove the lid, and add the red chilli powder, and cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant and drumstick pieces start to brown.
- Serve the eggplant-drumstick curry hot with white rice and ghee (clarified butter).