Fried rice is a wonderful dish that adds fragrance and taste to any party meal. Lightly spiced with cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin, this flavored rice is sure to be a great hit with your family and friends. Serve it with a nice gravy dish like Chana Masala or Chana Kurma. This is a quick easy recipe.
Cooking Time:25 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cardamoms, whole pods
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 cloves
- 1/2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp or salt to taste
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves and fry for a minute until the cumin starts to brown.
- Add the onions, and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the rice, and saute, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, and cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until rice is cooked and all water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, and remove the cinnamon stick.
- Serve the fried rice hot, with raita.
If you like the flavor of butter or ghee, you can use 1 tbsp butter or ghee and 1 tbsp oil.