Try this simple Jeera Rice the next time you want to have a special meal. Serve this cumin-flavored rice with a vegetable curry and plain yogurt or raita for a light but healthy meal. This is a traditional North Indian rice recipe.
Cooking Time: 20 mins ( 30 minutes for soaking)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick (1/2 inch long)
- Cashewnut pieces, a few
- 8-10 golden raisins (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash the basmati rice twice. Add 2 1/2 cups water to the rice and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil on low heat. Add the cashewnuts and fry until golden and remove. Add the raisins and fry until golden and remove.
- Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon and fry until cumin seeds are golden.
- Add the rice along with the water and salt. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes on low heat until the rice is cooked and the water has evaporated.
- Garnish the jeera rice with cashews and raisins and serve hot.