Kidney Beans Chili (rajma) is a North Indian vegetarian chili recipe. This is an easy-to-make recipe for vegetarian (and vegan) chili. Serve this spicy beans curry with Indian roti or rice for a nutritious meal.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups soaked and boiled kidney beans
- (rajma) or if using canned kidney beans,
- 1 can of beans, drained
- 1/3 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic paste (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder or chole masala
- 1/4 cup coriander (cilantro leaves), finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 6-8 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the ginger and garlic and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the onions and some salt, and saute until soft.
- Add the tomatoes and a little salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and red chilli powder and fry for a minute.
- Then add the kidney beans, 1 1/2 cups of water and salt and cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes until all the flavours are combined.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Serve the kidney beans chili with Indian roti (or any Indian bread) or basmati or jasmine rice. Also tastes great with toasted bread.
If you don’t have time to soak the kidney beans, cook them with a little salt and baking soda in the pressure cooker for about 6-8 whistles.