Lemon Rice is a nice, tangy dish you can serve on any festive occasion. This is an easy recipe and doesn’t take very long to make if you have cooked rice ready.
It keeps well, and is a good vegetarian, flavored rice, perfect for picnics and road trips. This is an easy rice cooker or pressure cooker recipe.
Cooking Time: 35 minutes (including time for cooking rice)
- 2 cups rice (jasmine or other non-sticky rice)
- 1/4 cup lemon (or lime) juice
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 small, whole red chillies
- 5-6 green chillies, finely chopped
- 10-12 cashews
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or pressure cooker with 4 cups of water. Let the rice cool.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add asafoetida, chana dal, and cashews and fry for a few seconds.
- Add mustard seeds, green chillies, and whole red chillies.
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add curry leaves and turmeric powder.
- Add this seasoning to the cooked rice. Add salt and lemon juice, and mix well using a plastic spatula.
- Serve hot or cold, with pappadums or chips.
Add the lemon juice only after the rice is cool; otherwise, the lemon rice will taste bitter.