Matar Paneer (Peas with Cottage Cheese) is a hot favorite with customers at Indian restaurants. Here’s an easy recipe for that delicious vegetarian curry. Paneer or Indian cottage cheese is available in Indian grocery stores.
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 1/2 cups paneer (cottage cheese), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying paneer
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 3-4 green chillies, slit and halved
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Fry the paneer until golden brown, drain on a paper towel, and set aside.
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water, and remove the peel. Grind them into a puree.
- Heat 6-8 tsp oil in a wide pan, and add the onions and ginger. Saute until the onions are brown and translucent.
- Add the tomato puree and cook on medium heat until the oil separates (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add turmeric powder, dhania powder, garam masala, salt, and peas. Cover and cook until peas are tender.
- Add the paneer pieces, and 1/4 cup water, and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes, until all the flavors are combined.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with basmati rice or any Indian bread.