Mixed-Vegetable Kurma is a healthy recipe for a vegetable curry that goes well with rice and any bread. This lightly-spiced gravy curry made with plain yogurt is flavorful and healthy. If you’re looking for quick lunch or brunch ideas, try this curry with basmati rice or roti. Or serve it with rice noodles.
If you’re a vegan, you can leave out the plain yogurt, and this vegetable dish would still taste delicious. Leave out the onions for a no-onion version.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup onions, cut into thin, 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp, cilantro (coriander leaves) for garnish
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup grated coconut, fresh or dry
- 5-6 green chillies (adjust to taste)
- Cook the vegetables with just enough water and some salt in the microwave or pressure cooker. Do not overcook the vegetables.
- Roast the poppy seeds for a couple of seconds.
- Grind the poppy seeds, cashews, chillies, and coconut with 1/4 cup water to a smooth, liquid paste, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan, add the onions and a little salt, and saute on low heat until they are translucent.
- Add the ground masala, cooked vegetables,and some salt.
- Whisk the yogurt and add it to the mixed-vegetable kurma.
- Cover and cook the curry on low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garam masala powder and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve the mixed-vegetable kurma hot with rice, roti, or rice noodles.
If you don’t want to use yogurt, grind the masala with 1 cup of water. Mash some of the potato pieces to thicken the gravy. Or make a paste with 1-tsp rice flour or corn starch, and add it to the vegetables. Cook until the gravy thickens and the raw smell of the flour is gone.
This curry also tastes great without onions!
Chana Kurma is a delicious restaurant-style dish that you'll love. Made with chickpeas and mixed vegetables, this spicy gravy curry tickles your palate.
Chickpeas are a wonderful addition to any meal ...
Carrot Kurma is a delicious curry that is a great accompaniment for any Indian bread and rice. If you're looking for something that's delicately spiced and sweet, try this vegetarian ...
This Mixed Vegetable Curry is a classy and heathy way to use up all those leftover veggies in your refrigerator. Easy to prepare and full of nutrition, this lightly spiced ...
Mixed-Vegetable Dal is a wholesome lentil soup with lots of vegetables. This dal requires only a few spices but tastes wonderful. This vegetarian and vegan soup recipe is from Kerala ...
Vegetable Rice is a homemade gourmet dish and can be made with any vegetables you like. This is a tasty one-dish meal that's quick and easy. Leave out the onions ...
Chayote Pear Gravy Curry is a quick and easy curry that goes well with rice or roti. You can also serve this curry with rice noodles. Spicy and a little ...
Beans Gravy Curry is an easy dish that tastes great with rice or any Indian bread. This vegetarian curry with green beans adds some heat and spice to your meal. ...
Drumstick Gravy Curry is a delicious South Indian recipe. Though it takes some time to make, it's worth it. This gravy is a wonderful accompaniment for any Indian roti, and ...
Broccoli-Cauliflower Gravy is a delicious gravy curry that goes very well with both rice and roti. Broccoli doesn't lend itself to Indian-style of cooking, but it's very good for your ...
Spicy Vegetable Pasta is a tasty and healthy after-school snack for kids. You can use whole-wheat pasta and make it healthier.
This is an easy vegetarian/vegan recipe you can put together ...
Mushroom Gravy Curry is a tasty gravy dish that makes a great accompaniment for any Indian roti (chapati, naan, plain paratha, or poori) and rice.
Mushrooms are worth including in your ...
Karela-Potato Gravy Curry is a South Indian recipe from Karnataka, India, and is called nalahari. The gravy is a sweet-sour mix of tamarind and jaggery which lessens the bitterness of ...
Karela-Potato Gravy Curry
Category: Vegan Gravy Curry Recipes, Vegetarian Gravy Curry Recipes, Vegetarian Gravy Curry Recipes - No-Onion No-Garlic