Make this Mustard Greens-Cabbage Kootu if you want to include some healthy green in your diet. This vegetarian/vegan lentil soup with yellow lentils is a healthy and easy recipe.
Mustard greens, like collard and kale, help lower cholesterol. They contain glucosinolates, which are phytonutrients that protect against cancer.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 cups chana dal (split bengal gram/yellow lentils)
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup mustard greens, chopped fine
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chana dal (yellow lentils)
- 2 tsp toor dal (spli red gram/lentil)
- 3 tsp dhania (coriander seeds)
- 5-6 red chillies
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Cook the dal in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and turmeric powder for 3-4 whistles.
- In a saucepan, add the cabbage, mustard greens, and potatoes with 2 cups water, salt and turmeric powder, and cook on medium heat until tender.
- For the kootu masala, add the oil in a small pan, and saute the toor dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, and red chillies until golden. Remove and let cool. Grind into a coarse powder in a small coffee grinder.
- Add this kootu masala to the veggies and cook on medium heat until the raw flavor is gone.
- Mash the chana dal and add to the veggies. Adjust the salt as needed. Remove from heat.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan, and add the mustard seeds. When they start popping add them to the mustard greens-cabbage kootu.
- Place the kootu back on the heat and let it come to a boil and remove from heat.
- Serve the mustard greens-cabbage kootu with rice.