Mustard Greens Dal is a healthy vegetarian/vegan lentil soup. This is a great way to include these greens in your vegetarian diet. Mustard greens are great for lowering cholesterol.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup chana dal (yellow lentils)
- 3 cups mustard greens (sarson), chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into big cubes
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 red chillies, broken into a few pieces
- 1/2-3/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
- Cook the chana dal in the pressure cooker with 1 1/4 cups water for 3-4 whistles.
- In a saucepan, boil the mustard greens and ginger with 2 cups water and salt until tender.
- Remove from heat. Mash and add the chana dal and salt as needed.
- Heat oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add the asafoetida, turmeric, mustard and cumin seeds and fry until they start to pop. Add the red chillies and fry for a second. Add the red chilli powder and cilantro and fry for a few seconds and pour over the mustard greens dal.
- Let the dal come to a boil and remove.
- Serve the mustard greens dal with rice or roti.