Try this okra fry recipe if you want are rushed for time and need to make a quick okra curry for your dinner. This vegetable cooks very easily and is tasty, too! Make this healthy vegetable a part of your meal plans.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 5 cups of okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 red chilli
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp watery yogurt or buttermilk
- Salt to taste
- 8-10 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat 4-5 tsp oil in a wide and shallow nonstick pan or skillet. Add the urad dal, and mustard seeds. When the dal turns brown and the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the red chilli, and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the turmeric powder and the okra. Sprinkle salt and a few drops of water. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes until the okra is cooked.
- Remove the lid and add the yogurt and stir fry on medium high heat until the sticky moisture evaporates.
- Then add 2-3 tsp oil and saute the okra on medium high for 6-7 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally.
- When the okra starts to brown, sprinkle the red chilli powder, and saute for 3-4 minutes until the pieces are slightly crunchy.
- Serve the okra fry hot with plain white rice or Indian chapati or roti.