Palak-Dal Curry is a quick pressure-cooker recipe for a vegetarian/vegan side. This delicately spiced gravy curry is packed with protein, iron, and B-Complex vitamins which protect cells from cancer.
The vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, and riboflavin in spinach help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis, asthma, heart disease.
Cooking Time: 20minutes
- 1/2 cup chana dal (yellow lentils)
- 2 cups spinach (palak), finely chopped
- 2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2-1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- Asafoetida powder, a pinch
- 2 red chillies
- Soak the chana dal for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, and add the onions and saute until lightly browned. Remove in a bowl.
- In a pressure cooker container, drain and add the dal, spinach, tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander and garam masala powders, salt, green chillies, ginger, garlic, and 1/4 cup water.
- Place in the pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles, and turn off heat.
- Heat oil or ghee in a medium saucepan for seasoning. Add the asafoetida powder and red chillies and fry for a few seconds, and mash and add the cooked palak dal and sauteed onions.
- Adjust salt as needed, and let the palak-dal curry come to a boil on low heat. Remove from heat.
- Serve the palak-dal curry hot with plain rice or roti.