For the best Pav Bhaji, you should go to the street vendors in Mumbai, India. Pav Bhaji is a very popular snack in India, and is served in many Indian restaurants around the world. Bhaji is the mixed vegetable curry and pav is the bun on which it’s served. This spicy vegetarian burger is easy to put together and is a great snack for informal parties.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup carrots, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups onions diced
- 2 cups, tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-5 green chillies (adjust to taste)
- 1/4-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp Pav Bhaji masala powder
- (available in Indian grocery stores and online)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar, a pinch (optional)
- 5-6 tsp vegetable oil
- 6-8 tsp melted butter or vegetable oil for toasting the pav/bun
- 5-6 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- 6-10 pav/buns
- Cook all the vegetables, except for peas, in a pressure cooker. Or cook them in a microwave with enough water and some salt for 5-7 minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked.
- Heat 5-6 tsp oil in a shallow pan on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds. When the seeds start browning, add the onions and some salt and saute until browned.
- Add the green chillies and ginger, and saute for a couple seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and saute until mashed. Add the peas and the cooked vegetables along with the water in which they were boiled.
- Add salt, sugar, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, and turmeric.
- Pour just enough water (if needed) to make the curry into a thick gravy.
- Mash the vegetables as they are cooking.
- Remove from heat when the gravy thickens, and garnish with cilantro.
- Cut the pav or bun horizontally into half.
- Heat a griddle or tawa.
- Apply a little melted butter on the soft side of the buns and brown slightly on the tawa.
- Place 2-3 spoons of the bhaji or curry on a slice, and cover with the other slice as for a sandwich or burger.
- Serve with sliced onions, lime, cilantro, and more curry on the side.
The store-bought Pav Bhaji masala can be quite hot, so adjust the green chillies and red chilli powder accordingly.
You can also add other vegetables like bell pepper and cauliflower to the curry.
You can skip the onions and garlic if you want.