Peas Pulao is a great dish for parties and festive occasions. Made with basmati rice and fresh peas, this is a subtly flavored rice that is homemade gourmet.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 2 cups of green peas
- 1 large onion (or 2 medium),
- cut lengthwise and halved
- 1 green chilli, slit lengthwise (optional)
- 6-8 cashew nuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom seeds
- 1-2 mint leaves for garnish
- 8-10 tsp vegetable oil (or ghee)
- 4 cups of water
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil, fry the cashews until golden brown, and set aside.
- Saute 1/4 of the onions till nicely browned, and set aside for garnishing.
- Add cumin, cloves, and cardamom and fry for a minute. As they start to brown, add the remaining onions, green peas, and green chilli and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, garam masala, and salt, and saute for about 2 minutes, until the rice is coated with oil, and gives off a nutty aroma.
- Add 4 cups of water, and cover and cook until done, or cook in the pressure cooker for about 3 whistles. Or cook the rice in the rice cooker with 3 3/4 cups water.
- Garnish with the sauteed onions, and cashew nuts.
- Serve the peas pulao hot with a raita of your choice.