This plain raita is easy to make and great to serve with roti or rice, especially when you don’t have any suitable vegetable for raita, or when you just want a quick and simple accompaniment for your meal. This raita is also great as a dip for vegetables and chips.
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups plain yogurt (whole, low-fat or non-fat)
- Cumin (jeera) powder, a pinch
- Garam masala powder, a pinch
- 1/4 tsp grated ginger or ginger powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1-2 small red chillies, whole
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- In a medium bow,l mix the yogurt, cumin and garam masala powders, and salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the cumin seeds and fry until they start to brown. Add the red chilies and curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds, and pour over the raita, and cover to seal in the aroma.
- Serve the plain raita with parathas and chapathis or rice.