Poha-bread vada is a perfect afternoon snack when you need a quick boost of energy. This crispy treat is sure to delight kids and adults.
If you don’t have bread-crumbs, you can use 1/2 cup mashed potato. The vadas will have a softer texture, but will still be crunchy on the outside and delicious!
Servings: 6 (16-18 vadas)
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups poha (pressed rice, rice flakes)
- 3 slices bread, ground into bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp coarsely ground peanuts
- 3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- 4-5 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Soak poha for 5 minutes in water and then drain the water.
- Add the bread crumbs and all the other ingredients and mix to form a firm dough. Add a little water if required.
- Take a small ball of the mixture and make a pattie or vada, pressing the mixture firmly, so it doesn’t break apart in the oil when frying.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-frying pan, and fry the vadas till golden brown and crisp.
- Serve the poha-bread vadas hot, with ketchup or ginger chutney.