Potato Gravy Curry is a South Indian gravy curry that’s not only delicious but also very easy to make. This vegetable dish goes great with rice and is very filling and satisfying. If you have a craving for carbohydrates or need one of those comfort foods that will provide a boost of energy, try this recipe.
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- 8-9 red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 cup coconut, freshly grated or dry
- Pressure cook the potatoes for about 7 minutes or until cooked but not mushy.
- Or you can microwave the potatoes with enough water and salt for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a small pan and saute the onions with a little salt until translucent and nicely browned, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan, and roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and red chillies separately until golden brown. Grind all these with coconut and 1/2 cup of water into a coarse paste.
- Heat a wide, shallow pan, and add the ground masala, potatoes (along with the water) and add 1 cup of water and cook on medium heat until gravy thickens.
- Add the sauteed onions.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add the mustard seeds. when the mustard starts to pop, add the curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds. Pour the seasoning over the potatoes, and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the potato gravy curry hot, with hot rice and ghee (clarified butter).
Reduce or increase the quantity of water to get the consistency of gravy you want.