Potato Gravy Curry is a South Indian gravy curry that’s not only delicious but also very easy to make. This vegetable dish goes great with rice and is very filling and satisfying. If you have a craving for carbohydrates or need one of those comfort foods that will provide a boost of energy, try this recipe.
Cooking Time:20 minutes
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- 8-9 red chillies (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds (dhania)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 cup coconut, freshly grated or dry
- Pressure cook the potatoes for about 7 minutes or until cooked but not mushy.
- Or you can microwave the potatoes with enough water and salt for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked.
- Heat 2-3 tsp oil in a small pan and saute the onions with a little salt until translucent and nicely browned, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan, and roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and red chillies separately until golden brown. Grind all these with coconut and 1/2 cup of water into a coarse paste.
- Heat a wide, shallow pan, and add the ground masala, potatoes (along with the water) and add 1 cup of water and cook on medium heat until gravy thickens.
- Add the sauteed onions.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add the mustard seeds. when the mustard starts to pop, add the curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds. Pour the seasoning over the potatoes, and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the potato gravy curry hot, with hot rice and ghee (clarified butter).
Reduce or increase the quantity of water to get the consistency of gravy you want.
Karela-Potato Gravy Curry is a South Indian recipe from Karnataka, India, and is called nalahari. The gravy is a sweet-sour mix of tamarind and jaggery which lessens the bitterness of ...
Chayote Pear Gravy Curry is a quick and easy curry that goes well with rice or roti. You can also serve this curry with rice noodles. Spicy and a little ...
Beans Gravy Curry is an easy dish that tastes great with rice or any Indian bread. This vegetarian curry with green beans adds some heat and spice to your meal. ...
Drumstick Gravy Curry is a delicious South Indian recipe. Though it takes some time to make, it's worth it. This gravy is a wonderful accompaniment for any Indian roti, and ...
Mushroom Gravy Curry is a tasty gravy dish that makes a great accompaniment for any Indian roti (chapati, naan, plain paratha, or poori) and rice.
Mushrooms are worth including in your ...
Black-Eyed Peas-Methi Gravy is a healthy and flavorful dish that's also very filling. If you're wondering how to use fenugreek leaves (methi), try this recipe. The slightly bitter taste that these ...
Bottlegourd Gravy Curry is a lightly spiced, sweet-sour gravy that goes very well with Indian roti or chapathi. If you use the microwave to boil the bottlegourd, this is one ...
Broccoli-Cauliflower Gravy is a delicious gravy curry that goes very well with both rice and roti. Broccoli doesn't lend itself to Indian-style of cooking, but it's very good for your ...
Palak-Dal Curry is a quick pressure-cooker recipe for a vegetarian/vegan side. This delicately spiced gravy curry is packed with protein, iron, and B-Complex vitamins which protect cells from cancer.
The vitamin ...
Mixed-Vegetable Kurma is a healthy recipe for a vegetable curry that goes well with rice and any bread. This lightly-spiced gravy curry made with plain yogurt is flavorful and healthy. ...
Try this Mustard Greens Gravy next time you're wondering what to make with these greens. Spinach and tamarind tone down the slightly bitter taste of mustard greens (sarson), and make ...
Corn-Mushroom Curry is a tasty gravy curry that goes well with rice and roti. Simple and easy to make, this gravy curry is also very nutritious.
Corn contains fiber and significant ...
Karela-Potato Gravy Curry
Black-Eyed Peas-Methi Gravy
Category: Vegan Gravy Curry Recipes, Vegetarian Gravy Curry Recipes, Vegetarian Gravy Curry Recipes - No-Onion No-Garlic