Potato Raita is a simple yogurt salad that can be served with any dry vegetable curry and rice or chapathi. It can also serve as a quick curry for roti. This raita goes very well with rice and South Indian dal chutneys.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes and
- boiled with a little turmeric powder or just boiled and peeled
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 red chilli, broken into a couple pieces (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix the boiled potato pieces and yogurt with 1/4 cup water and some salt. Or you could mash the potatoes and add it to the yogurt to make it more like a potato salad. Adjust the water to get the consistency you want.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the urad dal and fry until golden brown. Add the cumin and mustard seeds as the dal starts to brown, and fry for a few seconds.
- As the seeds start to pop, add the red chilli pieces and fry until lightly browned. Add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Pour this seasoning over the yogurt and stir well.
- Serve the potato raita with rice or roti.