Ridge Gourd Kootu is a quick and easy lentil soup that goes well with rice. Serve this tasty and wholesome dal with ghee (clarified butter), and pappadums.
Look for ridge gourd in Indian and Asian grocery stores.
Be sure to check the ridge gourd for bitterness before cooking.
- 3 cups ridgegourd, peeled and cut into medium cubes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp tamarind paste (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 red chilli, broken into 2-3 pieces
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp toor dal (split red gram/lentil)
- 1 1/2 tsp chana da (split bengal gram/yellow lentil
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 2 tsp dhania (coriander seeds)
- 4-5 red chillies
- 1/4 cup coconut, freshly grated or dry
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder (hing)
- 1/2 tsp vegetabl oil
- Cook the dal in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and a little turmeric powder for about 5-6 whistles. When cool, mash the dal a little, and set aside.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and add the dals, asafoetida, coriander seeds, red chillies, and saute until golden. Remove in a bowl and let cool.
- In a small grinder, grind the masala ingredients along with the coconut into a coarse powder and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, boil the ridgegourd with 1 cup water , salt, and turmeric powder, until almost tender.
- Add the tamarind paste and masala and cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the dal and salt and remove from heat.
- In a small pan, heat 1 tsp oil and add asafoetida, mustard seeds, red chilli, and curry leaves. When the mustard pops, pour the seasoning over the ridgegourd kootu and heat until it comes to a boil.
- Serve the ridge gourd kootu with rice and ghee (clarified butter).