This Roasted Tomato Soup is extremely easy to make and a simple yet delicious soup. For best taste, use organic, wine-ripened tomatoes that are fresh and ripe. For a spicier taste, add a dash of red chilli powder.
This is a healthy soup to add to your vegetarian or vegan meals.
Cooking Time: 45-60 minutes
- 6 tomatoes (large), cut in half
- 1 onion (small), cut into 4 pieces
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups milk (low-fat or soy milk)
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the tomatoes, onions and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Roast in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a blender, add the roasted tomatoes, onion, and garlic along with salt and milk and blend into a smooth puree.
- Just before serving, heat the puree on low heat for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle the black pepper powder and garnish with basil.
- Serve the roasted tomato soup warm and plain or with toasted bread.