Sabudana Kheer is a simple and healthy dessert. Sabudana or sago/tapioca pearl is full of carbohydrates, and combined with milk and nuts, this pudding is full of calcium, magnesium, and other minerals. Cashews have lower fat than most other nuts, and mostly contain heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. This payasam is also great as an energy drink.
Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 cup sabudana (sago, tapioca pearls)
- 2 tsp cashew nuts
- 1 tsp cardamom powder (elaichi)
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- Place the sabudana in a bowl and add 3-4cups of water. Wash the sabudana, drain the water and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the cashew nuts until golden. Remove and let cool, and chop the nuts.
- In the meantime, in a heavy saucepan, add the milk and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and add sugar and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the cardamom powder and evaporated milk and set aside.
- To cook the sabudana, add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.Reduce the heat and cook until the sago is translucent, stirring often to prevent it from burning at the bottom. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add the boiled sabudana to the milk (along with the water).
- Garnish the sabudana kheer with chopped cashew nuts.
- Serve the sabudana kheer warm or chilled.
You can also add 1/2 cup thin vermicelli for a different taste. Reduce the water to milk ratio as needed; or use only water instead of milk if you’re lactose-intolerant.
Category: Sweets and Desserts