Spicy Chickpeas is a quick and easy vegetarian dish you can rustle up in no time, especially if using canned chickpeas. Chickpeas are full of protein and fiber, and provide an easy way to make your meals healthy and full of nutrition.
Cooking Time: 15-25 minutes
- 1 can (8 oz) of chickpeas
- (chana, ceci/garbanzo beans),
- drained and rinsed
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/4-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilli, slit lentghwise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- If using dry chickpeas, and don’t have time to soak overnight, cook 1 1/2 cups of beans and boil with 3 cups of water, a pinch of baking soda and a little salt in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes, and drain.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a pan, and add mustard and cumin seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the green chillies and ginger and fry for a couple of seconds. Add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, and onions along with some salt, and cook on medium heat until cooked.
- Add the garam masala and fry for 2-3 minutes;then add the boiled chickpeas (wihtout the water) and salt as needed. Stir well and cover and cook on medium heat until all the flavors are combined, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish the spicy chickpeas with cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti.