Spicy Peas with Mango make a healthy and nutritious snack. Use fresh peas to cut down cooking time. If using dried peas, soak them overnight and pressure-cook them before tempering.
This is a vegetarian/vegan recipe, and doesn’t have onion or garlic.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes with fresh peas (30 minutes if using dried peas + soaking time)
- 1 1/2 cups peas, fresh or dried
- 2-3 tbsp raw mango, grated
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2-3 green chillies, slit
- Curry leaves, a few
- 2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida (hing) powder, a pinch
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- If using dried peas, pressure-cook them (after soaking overnight) with a pinch of salt for 2-3 whistles.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan. Add the asafoetida powder, mustard and cumin seeds, and fry until the mustard pops.
- Add the green chillies and ginger and saute for a couple of seconds. Add the curry leaves.
- Drain and add the cooked peas, along with turmeric, grated mango, and salt as needed. Cover and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir as needed.
- Remove the spicy peas with mango from heat, garnish with cilantro and serve warm.