Spicy puffed rice is great if you want to whip up a quick breakfast or snack. Colorful and tasty, kids, especially, are sure to love it.
Puffed rice, like puffed corn (pop corn), and corn puffs, is made with rice grains heated under high pressure with steam. In India, puffed rice is popular as part of crunchy snacks like chivda, and sweets like rice krispy cakes.
If you’re a weight watcher, you’ll love this vegetarian dish as puffed rice is low in saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, and sodium. Also, this snack makes you feel full for a long time.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 6 cups puffed rice (murmura, arisi pori, maramaralu)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, cut into small cubes
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Asafoetida (hing), a pinch
- 4 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania-jeera (coriander seeds & cumin seed powder)
- 2 tbsp dalia (roasted, split chickpeas,
- without the husk), coarsely powdered
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 tsp vegetable oil
- Soak the puffed rice in water for 5 minutes, and then drain all the water, pressing the rice lightly.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida and mustard seeds. When the seeds start popping, add the chillies, onions, and a little salt, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the dhania-jeera powder and red chilli powder, and saute for a minute.
- Add the puffed rice, dali powder, and salt and mix well. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes till the puffed rice is cooked.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the spicy puffed rice hot.