Spicy Rice Noodles make a filling and nutritious breakfast or light meal. Made with rice noodles and mixed vegetables, this simple vegan/vegetarian dish is very easy to make and is sure to be a hit with both kids and adults. It’s a great after-school snack for kids.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups rice noodles
- 6 cups of water
- 1/2 cup green beans, finely cut
- 1.2 cup carrots, finely cut
- 1/2 cup onions (optional)
- 1/ cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 red chillies broken into a couple pieces
- 3 tsp dalia powder (roasted chickpea flour) or peanut powder
- 1/4 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Take a deep pan, add water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the rice noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked but not mushy.
- Drain, add a cup of cold water, drain again, and cool.
- In a microwavable bowl, add the cut vegetables and sprinkle some salt and water. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Let cool. Or boil separately with some water and salt.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan or skillet. Add the cumin and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the red chillies and fry until chillies are browned a bit.
- Add the onions along with some salt. Saute on low heat until they are translucent.
- Add the coriander-cumin powder and red chilli powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables, tamarind paste, sugar, dalia or peanut powder along with 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook on low heat until the gravy has thickened and the raw flavor of the dalia is gone. Remove the spicy rice noodles from heat.
- Add the rice noodles, a little at a time until you have the proportion of noodles and veggies the way you want. Add salt as needed. Mix well and saute on low heat until the noodles have absorbed the gravy and are well-coated.
- Garnish the spicy rice noodles with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
Instead of tamarind paste, you can use tomato sauce, ketchup or soy sauce.