Spinach-Cilantro Gravy is a delightful gravy curry. Cilantro leaves add a wonderful flavor to spinach, and the tomatoes and onions, a sweet, tangy taste. This is a vegetarian, vegan dish that is full of nutrition. What better way to get your vitamins and minerals?
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 6 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 2 cups onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cups tomatoes, halved and sliced
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3-4 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
- 7-8 green chillies (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 red chillies
- In a small blender, grind together the ginger, green chillies, cilantro, and 1/4 cup of spinach into a slightly coarse paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pan and add the onions and some salt. Saute on medium heat, stirring as needed, until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the ground masala paste along with 2 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Add the spinach and salt as needed. Cover and cook on medium heat until the spinach is tender.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds. As they start to pop, add the whole red chillies and pour this seasoning over the spinach-cilantro gravy. Let the gravy simmer for a minute and remove from heat.
- Serve the spinach-cilantro gravy with plain rice or any Indian flatbread.