Spinach Dal is a simple and delicious vegetarian side made with mung (moong) dal and spinach. This dal tastes great with Indian roti or rice. This is a great way to get your greens vitamins, and an easy pressure cooker recipe.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup moong dal (split mung beans)
- 2 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 4 red chillies, cut into big pieces
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash the moong dal a couple times, so it’s not too sticky when cooked.
- Cook the dal and spinach in the pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of water for about 3 whistles or 8 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on high heat.
- Add hing, urad dal, and mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the red chillies and fry for a few seconds until they brown.
- Add the red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked dal and spinach to this seasoning with 1 cup of water and salt.
- Let the spinach dal come to a boil.
- Serve the dal with chapathis or any Indian bread or with rice, ghee, and lime pickle.
Bottlegourd-Spinach Dal is a South Indian lentil soup that's full of flavor and nutrition. Bottlegourd is great for many digestive ailments, while spinach is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, ...
Amaranth Dal is an easy pressure cooker recipe with amaranth leaves, known in Indian languages as thotakoora, lal sag, mulai keerai, and dhantina soppu. Similar to spinach in taste, these ...
Moong Dal-Drumstick Soup is a nutritious and delicious soup that can be served with rice and a vegetable curry like potato fry, for a quick, filling meal. You can make ...
Lemony Moong Dal (aka pesara kattu) is a tangy, delicious, and slightly watery lentil soup with split moong beans that's popular in Andhra Pradesh, India.
Easy to cook and easy to ...
Mustard Greens-Moong Dal is a simple and hearty lentil soup. Serve it with any Indian flatbread or plain rice. This is an easy South Indian vegetarian recipe. Mustard greens have a ...
Spinach-Bottlegourd Dal is a spicy South Indian lentil soup that tastes delicious with plain rice. Bottlegourd is low in calories and fat and high in water content and fiber and ...
Chana-Palak Dal is a spicy chickpea and spinach lentil soup that's full of protein, fiber, and iron. This is a a healthy vegetarian/vegan soup that's filling.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
A quick South Indian dish, this Moong Dal-Onion Soup is very easy to make. Not only is moong dal (mung beans) a great source of protein and fiber, but it ...
Ridge Gourd Dal is a simple lentil soup that can be made very quickly. This is a great soup for cold winter nights; serve this dal with hot, steaming rice or ...
Cabbage-Potato Dal is a vegetarian cabbage soup recipe that's full of nutrition. Cabbage and potatoes are a wonderful source of potassium and are foods that lower blood pressure naturally. Cabbage ...
Bottlegourd Dal (Lauki Dal) is a simple yet delicious side for rice or any Indian bread. Lightly spiced, this North Indian dish is packed with protein.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Black Bean Soup is a quick vegetarian dish you can make when you're pressed for time. Made with black beans and spinach, this South Indian vegetarian kootu (soup) is nutritious ...
Category: Dals and Soups, Dals and Soups - No-Onion No-Garlic, Vegan Dals and Soups