Spinach Dal is a simple and delicious vegetarian side made with mung (moong) dal and spinach. This dal tastes great with Indian roti or rice. This is a great way to get your greens vitamins, and an easy pressure cooker recipe.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup moong dal (split mung beans)
- 2 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 4 red chillies, cut into big pieces
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Wash the moong dal a couple times, so it’s not too sticky when cooked.
- Cook the dal and spinach in the pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups of water for about 3 whistles or 8 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep pan on high heat.
- Add hing, urad dal, and mustard seeds. When the seeds start to pop, add the red chillies and fry for a few seconds until they brown.
- Add the red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Add the cooked dal and spinach to this seasoning with 1 cup of water and salt.
- Let the spinach dal come to a boil.
- Serve the dal with chapathis or any Indian bread or with rice, ghee, and lime pickle.