Spinach vada, a deep-fried spinach fritter, known as “keera vadai” in South India, is sure to be a hot favorite with everyone who tries it. Made with spinach and urad dal (split black gram), this ranks high among my friends’ favorite vegetarian foods.
Getting your greens vitamins never tasted this good!
Cooking Time: 30 minutes (excluding the soaking time for dal)
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram), soaked for 40 minutes
- 1 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1 onion, medium, finely chopped
- 7-8 green chillies, finely hopped
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Drain the water from the dal and in a blender, grind it into a thick, coarse batter, adding only a little water. The batter should not be watery.
- Add the chopped spinach, onions, green chillies, and salt, and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Keep water handy in a bowl. Moisten your palm and fingers with the water, and take a small ball (golf-sized) of batter and place it on your palm. Flatten it a little and and make a hole in the center, as in a doughnut. Drop it into the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, and fry the vadas till golden brown on medium heat.
- Serve the spinach vadas hot, with tamarind dip or chutney and beverage of your choice.