This stuffed okra recipe is simple and easy to make. This bhari bhendi curry is a great way to add some spice and crunch to your vegetarian meals. This curry tastes best when made with fresh okra.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 30-35 okra (bhendi), small or medium
- 10-12 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups besan (split bengal gram flour/chickpea flour)
- 4-5 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp vegetable oil
- Make 1/4 inch-long slits on both ends of the okra and keep aside.
- For the masala, in a bowl, mix besan, red chilli powder and salt with a little oil. Taste it to make sure salt and chilli are to your taste.
- Stuff the okra with this mixture ( in the slit ends).
- Heat oil in a wide nonstick skillet. Place the stuffed okra in the oil, sprinkle a little salt and water. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes until the vegetable is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, add some oil and sprinkle 2 tsp of masala and saute the okra on medium high, turning the individual pieces until they are evenly browned and slightly crunchy.
- Serve the curry with rice and plain dal and ghee (clarified butter).
To prevent the okra from becoming sticky, instead of washing the okra, wipe them with a cloth or paper towel before cooking.