Try Tindora with Sesame if you want something different and tasty. Tindora (tondli, dondakaya/ivy gourd) is a versatile vegetable and lends itself to different ways of
This vegetarian/vegan curry is a healthy accompaniment for rice.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups tindora, cut into 1-inch long thin strips
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 4-6 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- 4-5 red chillies
- 3 tsp roasted peanuts, peeled
- 1 tsp peanuts, roasted, peeled, and crushed
- Wash the cut tindora well, removing as many seeds as you can. Cook the tindora with a little salt and water in the microwave for about 6 minutes or until tender.
- In a small pan, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat until aromatic, and set aside.
- In a small grinder (coffee grinder works fine), grind the sesame seeds, chillies, and peanuts into a coarse powder.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet, and add the curry leaves and fry for a second. Then add the tindora and turmeric powder and salt if needed, and saute on medium-high until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle the masala powder over the tindora, and saute for a couple more minutes, and remove the tindora with sesame from heat.
- Serve the tindora with sesame with plain rice.