Tomato-Dalia Chutney is a quick recipe for a tangy and hot chutney for serving with South Indian idlis and dosas. You can also use it as a dip for chips and veggies, or as a spread for your sandwiches.
Roasted chickpeas provide protein, while tomatoes provide vitamin C.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp dalia (roasted and peeled chickpeas)
- 3-4 red chillies
- 1 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), chopped
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida (hing) powder, a pinch
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- Heat the oil in a small pan and fry the dalia until golden and remove in a bowl.
- Fry the red chillies until crisp and let cool.
- Add the tomatoes and saute until tender.
- In a blender, add the dal and red chillies and grind into a coarse powder.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and cilantro, and blend into a coarse paste.
- Heat the oil for seasoning in a small pan. Add the asafoetida powder and mustard seeds and fry until they start popping and pour over the tomato-dalia chutney.
- Serve the tomato-dalia chutney with idli, dosa, or use as a dip or spread for sandwich.