This tomato-onion raita is a delicious accompaniment to spicy rice dishes such as vegetable pulao or any Indian bread. This raita also tastes great without onions.
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 2 cups tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely grated
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 small green chilli, slit and halved (adjust to taste)
- 3-4 curry leaves
- Mix the tomatoes, onion, and ginger. Add some salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the urad dal and fry for a few seconds. As the dal starts to brown, add the cumin and mustard seeds. As the seeds start to pop, add the green chillies and fry for a second. Add the curry leaves and pour over the tomatoes and onions.
- Add the yogurt and salt and mix well.
- Serve with roti or rice.
Category: Salads and Raitas