Veg Poha Khichadi is a nutritious breakfast. Start your day with a healthy serving of vegetables and pressed rice (poha). This is an easy-to-make vegetarian and vegan recipe.
- 2 cups poha (beaten/pressed rice)
- 1 small bell-pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- 3 cabbage leaves
- 2 green chillies
- Curry leaves, a few
- 3 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves) chopped
- oil – 4 table spoons
- 2-3 cashew nuts, broken into a few pieces
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 table spoon mustard seeds
- 2 table spoons chana dal (split bengal gram/chick peas)
- 2 pinches of turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Clean the poha (pressed rice) and soak it in water for 2 minutes (no more than 2 minutes). Drain the water fully and keep aside.
- Cut all the vegetables including green chillies lengthwise.
- Heat a pan on the stove. When it is hot, add the oil and mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add the chana dal, cumin seeds and cashews and fry until light brown.
- Add all the vegetables, chillies, and curry leaves. Add turmeric powder and salt. Stir well and cover with a lid and cook on medium heat, stirring every few minutes.
- When the vegetables are half-cooked, add the poha and stir well with vegetables. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Stir well and serve the veg poha khichdi hot.
Side Dish for Poha Veg Khichdi
Fresh curd, pepper powder, salt and 1 teasspoon sugar. Mix everything and serve with Poha Veg Khichadi.
Category: Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes