Vegetable Khichdi is great if you don’t have time to make elaborate meals and are just looking for something quick and healthy. Made with rice, split mung beans (with peel), and vegetables, this dish is easy to make. The mung beans with peel provide protein and fiber, and the vegetables several vitamins and minerals.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 cup split moong dal (with peel)
- 1/4 cup beans
- 1 tbsp peas
- 1/4 onions, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 tsp black pepper corn
- 1/4-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, slit
- 1 red chilli, broken into a few pieces
- Wash the moong dal a couple of times and place in a pressure cooker container along with rice, vegetables, 3 1/2 cups water, and salt.
- Heat the oil in a small pan for the seasoning. Add the cumin, mustard, and pepper corn and fry until the mustard starts popping. Add the green and red chillies and ginger and fry for a few seconds and pour over the rice and vegetables. Add the cilantro and stir well.
- Cook the vegetable khichdi in the pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles.
- Serve the vegetable khichdi hot, with a pickle of your choice, ghee (clarified butter) and pappadums.