What is Tabata? Personal trainer and life coach Heidi Powell teaches host Judy Greer the popular new high-intensity interval training technique known as Tabata.
It was founded in Japan by professor Izumi Tabata. It’s a basic high-interval training that anyone can do. It also doesn’t require any gym equipment and only requires a commitment of 4 minutes a day!
Each movement in Tabata is 4-minutelong, and depending on how much time you have, you can either do 1 movement or more. You can do a whole body Tabata workout or a mountain climber. The perfect combination of Tabata workout would be a squat, a push-up and a sit-up.
Tips for Tabata
- Always warm up before training.
- The key to Tabata training is working at 100% intensity during the 20 second rounds.
- Use a Tabata Timer app to keep you on track.
- Take a 10-second rest in between.
- Repeat interval 8 times to complete a 4-minute cycle.
- Use the same 20/10 timing for each exercise.