Wheat Rava Upma is a healthy Indian breakfast dish that’s full of fiber and protein. Made with cracked wheat or wheat grits, it’s a filling breakfast and gives you plenty of energy to start your day.
This is an easy South Indian vegetarian recipe. This upma would taste equally good without the onions, so if you don’t care to start your day with onions, leave them out. If you’re using the coarser cracked wheat, add 3 1/2 cups of water. For best results, cover and cook on low heat without stirring too often.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups wheat rava (cracked wheat, wheat grits, coarse cream of wheat)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (optional, omit if you don’t eat onions)
- 1 medium, tomato, cut into small cubes (optional)
- 5-6 green hillies, finely chopped
- 1/4-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2 tsp lime juice (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cashew nuts, chopped
- Roast the rava for a couple of minutes. This prevents the upma from becoming sticky. You can skip this step, if you like.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the chana dal and urad dal and fry for a couple of minutes.
- As the dals start to brown, add the chillies and ginger, and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, onions, and salt. Stir and cover and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt. Taste the water and make sure the salt is enough. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the wheat rava, mix well, and cover and cook on low heat for about 5-6 minutes or until rava is cooked. You may need to sprinkle more water and cook for a few more minutes if the rava is not completely cooked.
- Add the lime juice and mix well. (optional)
- Serve the wheat rava upma hot with mango pickle, chilli pickle or lime pickle.