This yellow lentil salad is full of protein and fiber. Made with cooked chana dal (yellow lentils) and coconut, this vegetarian/vegan dish can be served as a salad or as a healthy snack.
Protein-packed yellow lentils and coconut fill you up very quickly and help you stay full for a long time. If you’re trying to control your portions and eat smaller meals, this dish is sure to make it easier.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup chana dal (yellow lentils/bengal gram)
- 1/4 cup coconut, freshly grated
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida powder, a pinch
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1-2 red chillies, broken into a couple pieces
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Cook the chana dal in the pressure cooker with 1 1/2 cups water and a pinch of turmeric for 3-4 whistles, or until the dal is cooked but not mushy.
- In a a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the asafoetida powder, mustard and cumin seeds and fry until they start to pop. Add the green and red chillies and fry a couple of seconds. Add the curry leaves and fry for a second.
- Add the chana dal (if there’s any water, turn up the heat to high and let the water evaporate), and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the coconut and saute on low heat for a minute. Remove from heat.
- Serve the yellow lentil salad warm.