Zucchini Curry is quick and easy to make. Serve it with plain rice, regular or basmati.
Zucchini has a lot of water content; it is low in calories and as such a great weight-loss vegetable. Zucchini is rich in vitamin C, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups (2 medium) zucchini, peeled and sliced (not too thin)
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp coriander-cumin powder (dhania-jeera)
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a wide skillet. Add the asafoetida and cumin seeds and fry until golden. Add the turmeric powder, green chillies, coriander-cumin powder and saute for half a minute.
- Add the zucchini slices along with salt. Stir-fry the zucchini curry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the red chilli powder and fry for a few seconds. Add 1/2 cup water and sugar and cover and cook on medium heat until the zucchini is tender.
- Serve the zucchini curry hot with plain rice.
If you want the gravy to be thick, rather than watery, add 1 tsp rice flour or chickpea flour (besan), and cook until it thickens a bit. Or add only 1/4 cup of water while cooking the zucchini, and cook uncovered towards the end to evaporate the water.