Bread Upma is adifferent way to eat your bread. If you’re tired of eating toast and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, try this vegetarian (vegan) breakfast with bread.
Use bread that is 100% whole grain as it usually contains brown rice and barley, and as such provides more protein, fiber, and other nutrients than multigrain bread which has ingredients like refined flour that are bad for you.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 8 slices of white, whole wheat, or whole-grain bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 5-6 green chillies, finely chopped
- 4 tsp cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- Salt to taste
- 6-7 tsp
- 6-7 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Heat oil in a shallow and wide non-stick pan. Add chana dal.
- When the dal starts to turn brown, add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add the cilantro and turmeric powder and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and a little salt, cover and cook on low heat until they become translucent.
- Add the bread, and some salt, sprinkle some water, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the red chilli powder, and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Serve hot.