Crisp Okra is a simple but delicious okra recipe. You can serve this as appetizer or as a curry for rice and dal (lentil soup). This okra tastes best when served immediately.
Okra has a lot of fiber and is full of essential nutrients like vitamin C, B-Complex and iron.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 25-30 fresh okra
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 2 tsp corn starch powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp chaat masala (store-bought)
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder (mango powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Rinse okra and pat dry. Cut both ends, and slice each okra lengthwise into 4 pieces and place in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the besan, corn flower, salt, chilli powder, cumin, amchur and chaat masala.
- Sprinkle this spice mix over the cut okra and toss to coat the pieces. Sprinkle a little water and mix with your hands to coat each piece.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying. Take a few of the coated okra and drop them in the oil and fry until crisp and golden. Remove the crisp okra ad drain excess oil on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining okra.
- Serve the crisp okra immediately, with hot rice, yogurt raita or a lentil soup. Or serve plain or with a dipping sauce as an appetizer.
Use okra that’s fresh and tender. When you slice them, the okra pieces should have enough moisture for the masala mix to stick to the pieces. The corn starch powder and the sprinkle of water also helps with this.