Green Beans Fry is an easy recipe that you can make when looking for something to make quickly. This curry goes well with rice and roti. The recipe uses onions, but this curry tastes equally good without the onions.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 cups green beans (French), finely cut
- 1 1/2 cups onion, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds (jeera), a few
- Mustard seeds (rai), a few
- 4-5 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 red chilli, broken into 2 pieces
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 5-6 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to Taste
- Put the beans in a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle some salt and water, mix, and microwave for about 5 minutes or until tender. Or boil the beans separately with enough water. Drain any excess water from the cooked beans.
- Heat oil in a shallow nonstick skillet or wok. Add the asafoetida, cumin, and mustard seeds, and fry until the seeds start to pop.
- Add the chilli pieces and fry for a second. Add the curry leaves, turmeric powder, and onions. Sprinkle some salt and stir. Cover and cook on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the onions are cooked and browned.
- Remove the lid and add the beans. Stir-fry on medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the red chilli powder and some salt if needed. Saute until the pieces are browned.
- Serve the green beans fry hot with hot rice and ghee (clarified butter).