Made with toor dal (tur, red gram, pigeon peas), Jeera Dal is a great accompaniment to Indian phulka and rice.
Not only is toor dal nutritious but it is also very versatile. This simple vegetarian lentil soup is proof that you don’t need to add lots of spices to make a dish taste great! This is an easy recipe, and the mild flavor of this soup goes well with any spicy vegetable. Cook the dal in the pressure cooker (regular or electric) to cut down cooking time.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsps jeera (cumin seeds)
- Asafoetida powder (hing), a pinch
- 4-5 green chillies, slit and cut in half
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 2-3 tsps of vegetable oil
- Cook the dal in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and a little turmeric powder for about 4-5 whistles. Mash the boiled dal.
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add the hing and jeera. As the seeds start to brown, add the green chillies and saute for a few seconds. Then add the curry leaves.
- Add the boiled dal and 1/4 cup of water along with some salt.
- The dal should be watery.
- Let the jeera dal come to a boil.
- Serve hot with hot roti or rice.