These crunchy Paneer Spring Rolls are a vegetarian/vegan snack sure to please kids and adults. Though they take a while to make, they’re well worth it. Filled with paneer (cottage cheese) and vegetables of your choice, these rolls make a healthy snack, despite being deep-fried.
Paneer or cottage cheese is a great way to get your calcium.
Servings: 6-8 (makes 12-15)
Cooking Time: 45-60 minutes
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup corn flour
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder, a pinch
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 1/4 cup paneer (cottage cheese), grated
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup bell-pepper, cut into 1/2-inch long thin strips
- 1 tbsp peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp lime/lemon juice (optional)
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flours along with a little salt and red chilli powder with enough water into a smooth dough. Brush with a little oil and cover and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. If using fresh peas, saute the peas until almost tender.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, and bell-pepper, along with salt and chilli powder and stir-fry for a minutes.
- Add the paneer and stir for a couple of seconds. Remove in a plate and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the the lime juice and cilantro.
- Divide the dough into 1-inch diameter balls. Take a dough ball and roll on a floured surface into a very thin roti/tortilla (the thinner, the better, so when fried they become crunchy.) Cut the edges out to make a large rectangle (about 5-6 inches long and 4-inches wide), and cut the roti into 2 squares. Place 2 tsp of the vegetable and paneer filling on a square roti and roll it. Seal the edges and repeat with the remaining square.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the paneer spring rolls until lightly golden and place on a wire rack or phulka grill to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining spring rolls.
- Re-fry all the paneer spring rolls until golden and let cool a bit.
- Serve the rolls warm with tea or coffee.