Ragi Porridge is a nutritious and filling breakfast that can be made in minutes. Start your day right with this healthy breakfast. Ragi (red millet) is full of iron and protein and a healthy food to include in your vegetarian or vegan diet.
Ragi flour is available in Indian grocery stores or online.
Cooking Time: 5-7 minutes
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chilli, slit and halved
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp carrots, grated
- 2 tbsp cilantro (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon or lime juice (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Place the grated carrots in a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle some water and cover and steam in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. Remove and let cool.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and fry until they start to pop.
- Add the green chillies and saute for a few seconds. Add the turmeric and chilli powders along with salt and 1 tbsp cilantro leaves. Add 5 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- In the meantime, add a little water to the ragi flour and make a thick paste (of pouring consistency), adding a little water at a time, and smoothing out any lumps.
- When the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and pour in the ragi paste slowly, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the raw flavor is gone.
- Add some more water to the ragi porridge if needed to get the consistency you want.
- Serve the ragi porridge immediately in a bowl. Garnish with steamed carrot and cilantro, and a dash of lemon or lime juice.